Sunday, September 15, 2013

Card Tricks, Bike Rides and Revelations

This series of articles was originally written in 2008 and 2009 for another blog.  While I still have a deep appreciation for the insights, it's striking to me how my conclusions were put to the test over the years since I wrote the three articles.  I am posting them unedited here.  I will write some updates in the future.

What’s Going On – Part 1

“For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.” – Dunninger

“The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious.” – Albert Einstein

I pulled those quotes from David Blaine’s book Mysterious Stranger. I love David Blaine. With his style and confidence, he’s been a hero of mine since I caught the last half of Street Magic on TV back in 1997. I’ve dabbled in illusions, particularly card tricks, since I was very young. I know enough to surprise the average person and enough to appreciate what Blaine can do with the most basic moves. I talked to a much better magician than myself once who had no respect for Blaine. He called him a jerk, but I just took it as jealousy. I know I’d be ecstatic to be able to entertain a small crowd, staring into the eyes of an amazed stranger, with a simple trick that, with one mistake, could have made me look like a fool for even attempting it.

Besides just performing tricks, I love watching magic too. I want to be tricked by an illusion when I first see it, I seriously do. But then I like to figure it out and try to pull it off myself. One morning, on a long bike ride, I think I came close to figuring out a pretty big trick. It wasn’t one I saw an illusionist perform. It was one that I lived. I think I stripped away the illusion of my fascination with illusions. It was like I realized I was drawn to magic tricks all my life because it gave me a clue to the purpose of my existence. Maybe it showed me something about all of us, how we all lie somewhere in an expanse spanning from amusement and amazement. This is a large jump from David Blaine’s card tricks to a significant revelation about the entire human race, so I need to set the stage. I have to introduce Kyle. He was one of my students and his fascination with David Blaine rivaled my own.

Kyle ended up in one my classes every year of his four years of high school. He didn’t learn much math from me, but he loved seeing the card tricks I’d do at the end of an hour every now and then. Even when I only knew four good ones he’d ask to see them over and over. When I’d show other students he was as pleased as I was when the trick went well. If he’d figure one out after seeing it ten times he’d still act amazed along with the other onlookers. We even made up a trick together where he’d pose as a bystander. At one point he’d secretly plant a card in some obscure location. He was more than happy to let me take all glory when the card was revealed and the watching students would go nuts in amazement.

Often Kyle would come in during lunch. He’d ask to see some tricks or we’d talk about David Blaine’s latest stunt or TV program. Every once in awhile he’d ask to learn one of my more difficult tricks. I generally was reluctant to show students my secrets, but Kyle proved he could be trusted. And this led to a conversation one morning that I’ll always remember.

Part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment